Blogging has the power to change your life.
Creating a blog can open up all sorts of doors for you. It allows you to work from home, travel freely, and arrange your schedule however you choose. If you want to stay home with your kids or take a vacation mid-week, there’s no one around to stop you. If you want to go to the gym in the middle of the day, it’s no problem! After realizing the possibilities of turning a blog into a business, I fell in love with the idea of “working remotely” and being a digital nomad. Not only does it allow flexibility, but the amount of money you can make blogging has no limit. I know that sounds crazy, but it’s true! It’s the greatest lifestyle I can imagine, and the best part is that it’s incredibly easy to get started. Read on if you’re interested in setting up your own blog.
This article may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Bluehost is one of the best web hosting companies around and I highly recommend using them to set up your blog. With my Bluehost link, you will get a special deal for signing up. There are a number of reasons that Bluehost is the greatest hosting service you could have for your blog– and here they are!
- Bluehost is one of the largest and most respected web hosting providers in the world.
- With Bluehost, you receive a FREE domain name as long as you register for at least 1 year.
- You have the option of buying your domain for either 36 months, 24 months or 12 months. If you’re serious about keeping your blog and turning it into a business, you should go for 36 months, as this will also give you the cheapest price possible.
- Bluehost supports more than 2 million websites worldwide.
- They offer an anytime money-back guarantee. Customers can cancel at anytime without penalty to receive a prorated refund. For the first 30 days, full refunds are available.
- Support for Bluehost is available 24/7 via online, over the phone, or via chat. If you have any questions with the set up, the Bluehost team is there to assist you at anytime.
- MOJO Marketplace is integrated into every account, making the web’s leading applications, themes, and plugins easily accessible and installable in just one click.
For all of these reasons, Bluehost is easily the best place to host your website.
One thing that’s good to note is that you should definitely avoid Blogspot, Blogger, Tumblr and the like as blogging platforms. These websites are viewed as unprofessional and it is extremely difficult to make any kind of money on these sites. WordPress is widely respected and is home to millions of people who run thriving business on its platform. Over 27% of the entire internet (more than any other platform) is run on WordPress.
Even if you’re looking to start a blog as more of a hobby instead of a business, I’d still very much recommend going with WordPress.com and purchasing the upgrades for some extra features. It’s incredibly cheap and will give you everything you need to run an awesome blog with way more features (plus an enormous, dedicated community to help you out & cheer you on).
Step 1: Choose Your Domain Name
Click here to buy your domain and start your blog! After following this link, you will be taken to a screen that looks like this. Either create a new domain or sign up using your existing domain. If you haven’t quite figured out what you want to call your site yet, there is an option to ‘skip for now’ and come back to this page once you’ve settled on a name.
Step 2: Purchase Hosting For Your Blog
Now, we’ll get into setting up your WordPress Blog on Bluehost.
- Go to Bluehost and click the “Get Started Now” button.
- Specify which package you are interested in.
- Enter the domain name you registered earlier.
- Enter your payment information.
- Create a password.
Step 3: Install WordPress On Bluehost
If you purchased your domain through a different provider, you’ll need to take the extra step of connecting your domain name to your hosting provider. Otherwise, you should be good to go and start installing WordPress On Bluehost.
First, you’ll need to log in to your hosting account that you just created on Bluehost.
After you log in, you’ll see this screen. Under the bottom section where it says “Website,” Choose the second icon ‘Install WordPress’.
Click the ‘Continue Installation’ button to begin the WordPress installation process.
Next, you’ll be asked to choose where you want WordPress installed. Enter the domain that you just created and leave the directory field blank (unless you have a reason to create a subfolder). Click Next, then enter the Site Name you wish to use. Then, create your Admin name and password, which you will use to login to WordPress once it has installed.
Finally, enter your email address and read and agree to the terms. Complete your installation of WordPress.
Step 4: Design and Start Using Your Blog
Now the fun begins. It’s time to start designing your site and setting it up the way you want it!
If you have any trouble with these steps, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Click ‘Contact’ in the menu above and send me a message. I’m more than happy to help!
After getting your site all set up, here is an extra tool I recommend you use to get started:
Convertkit is one of the best email marketing tools around. While it is relatively new to its space, it has already helped thousands of people ‘convert’ and grow their email list dramatically. The reason this is important is because the number of email subscribers you have directly affects the amount of profit you make. It’s really important to build up your email list so you can effectively grow your business. Click here to learn more & sign up!
JOIN THE VIP LIST!
Gain access to the library of free resources to grow your blog & business!